When it comes to welding galvanized steel, it’s essential to choose the appropriate welding rod to ensure a successful and strong weld. The process typically used for galvanized steel welding is SMAW (Stick welding) & TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding.
Although welding galvanized steel can be challenging due to the zinc coating layer over the metal, there are specific rods designed for this purpose.
Few options for SMAW (stick welding) process are-
Note: We are reader friendly. We may earn a little commission for a quality purchase causing no cost to you.
This rod type is highly coated with cellulose which enable it to penetrate deep into the metal. E6010 is called allrounder electrode as it can be used in any position flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead.
The electrode ensures low spatter, high deposition rate and also produce coarse ripple weld bead. You can easily clean the slag produced because of welding with this electrode.
Lets find some best products-
1. Forney E6010 Welding Rod
- Compatible with Carbone
- Can be used in any position
- Deep penetrates into the base metal
- Can weld lightly or medium rusted metal effectively.
- Must use appropriate machine. Is not compatible with all machines
- May produce a lot of slag
- Cellulose flux covering the rod
- Need minimum surface preparation before welding.
- Excellent for welding rusty, dusty steel
- Suitable for square edge butt joint and other joints requiring deep welding
I personally like Forney welding rod and other accessories from Forney, because of the their wide spread reputation and good quality product. Forney’s E6010 welding rod is best for its deeper penetration and ability to weld on rusty & dusty metal without spatter.
2. Blue Demon E6010 Electrode
- Can weld in any position F, V, OH & H.
- Penetrate at deep creating x-ray like arc
- Can weld galvanized pipe as the flux is made of cellulose
- Can stick to the metal if settings are not correct
- Some people found it not suitable for all position except for flat. But for majority it worked better.
Blue demon can create x-ray quality weld in any position. It comes in 4 diameter 3/32, 1/8, 5/32 & 3/16. I live the welding rod because it penetrates at the deep of the metal and keep static welding arc.
- Enable to weld without overheating the rod.
- Comes up with 4 sizes
- Burn greatly on little bit rust and dirt.
- Product dimension is 14″Lx 0.13″W
- Rod is covered with cellulose that burn down the zinc coat on galvanized steel
Note: Blue demon is not blue colored anymore. The maker has turned to its previous color; gray. They think it is confusing to use blue color on the electrode.
This one is suitable for welding galvanized tank, frames, pipe etc. The rod is coated with cellulose potassium. E6011 is remarkable as it is considered as an electrode that can burn through anything deep enough to fuse the base metal with work metal.
As a result slugs produced are thin and can easily be removed. This one is also an allrounder electrode and can be used in any position. The last digit points that you can run the electrode with AC and DCEP.
Lets find out some products-
Hobart 6011 Electrode
- Can run in DCEP (reverse polarity)
- Can burn through galvanized coating easily
- Creates less slags and spatter
- Can produce huge amount of fumes
- Some people has complaint that the arc fails every 5-10 seconds
This one is an all purpose electrode better for Carbone and galvanized steel welding. With 60000 psi it can weld through galvanized steel and steel with medium amount of rust. You can run it on AC current and it penetrates deep into the metal creating spatter free weld.
The rod comes in banana and strawberry scent. Bacon scent is coming soon, hopefully will release within next year. The electrode works on galvanized steel, carbon steel and all other steel. It doesn’t work on aluminum. Can be used in any gauged steel with high travel speed.
Forney E6011 Electrode
- Can be used in all position
- Arc is smooth with fast deposition rate
- Can weld galvanized steel smoothly and perfectly
- Offers fastest travel speed as they contain flatter contour fillet
- Some people complaint that the rod burns quickly
- Without storing in controlled temperature the rod may crack or spoiled
I love Forney’s products for their consistency in maintaining quality of all products. Their E6011 electrode is famous for first freezing, usability in all purpose and deep penetration. It can weld on rusty metal without wasting the electrode.
Forney 31101 E6011 Welding Rod is a versatile electrode suitable for various welding positions. It requires minimal surface preparation prior to welding. The electrode offers deep penetration, which means it can effectively weld through thicker materials.
The electrode can join rusty metals together and also it is suitable for welding galvanized steel. It can run in DCEP reverse polarity and tensile strength of the rod is 80000psi.
Different diameter electrode is available for example 1/8″ & 2/32″ are common. The welding rod has an elongation (measure of metals ability to stretch until break) of 32%.
E6013 is also an allrounder electrode with the capability to fuse base metal and work metal stronger than the metals themselves. This one can be used in any position and it produces low spatter and slags are very thin. For thin metals it is one of the best choice. It can weld galvanized steel also.
Forney E6013 Electrode
- The electrode is versatile and can be used in all position
- Either Ac or Dc, you can use any current flow to use the electrode
- Has excellent wetting properties that result in smooth and flat bead.
- Some people complained the rod box is not strong enough. But company is now providing strong box to protect the rods
Forney E6013 is a high-quality electrode designed for easy and versatile use in welding applications. It offers excellent performance in various positions and reason I liked that one is particularly for its shallow penetration even in poor fit up conditions. Whether you’re working on projects that require a good appearance or need to overcome challenging fit-up conditions, the Forney E6013 Weld Rod delivers consistent and reliable results.
Whether you’re a professional welder or a DIY enthusiast, this electrode provides reliable results with ease.
One of the standout features of the Forney E6013 Weld Rod is its steady arc produced to ensure precise control and stability during the welding process.
This electrode also excels in terms of cleanliness and efficiency. With low spatter and excellent slag removal capabilities, the Forney E6013Weld Rod minimizes post-weld cleanup. In fact, it is virtually self-cleaning when used in vertical down fillet welds, making it a time-saving choice for welders.
This one is widely use electrode in stick welding any metal. For galvanized steel welding, you can use that one. It is widely used and most recommended electrode because of its weldability and strength. It can produce 70000psi tensile strength over the metal.
This electrode can be used in any projects professional or Diy for better quality. For galvanized steel welding e7018 is the best choice.
Forney 30681 E7018 Electrode
- It can be run in Ac & Dc power
- Produce light spatter and self-cleaning slag
- Reduces the post welding clean-up work
- Slag peels can be awful
- It is complained to be inconsistent in welding bead.
This Forney 30681 welding rod is specifically crafted for AC welding, making it ideal for general-purpose AC applications that require low penetration. I like it for its excellent bead contour.
Forney 30681 E7018 AC Welding Rod is a reliable and user-friendly electrode designed for a wide range of welding applications. The electrode helps to produce smooth weld bead and well-defined contour. As a result final weld seams aesthetically pleasing.
Additionally, it leaves lighter spatter and slag so that the post weld clean-up work become hassle free.
Remember to follow safety precautions and proper welding techniques when working with galvanized steel. Additionally, it’s recommended to remove the zinc coating from the welding area to prevent fumes that can be hazardous to your health.
Always refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations and consult with a welding professional for specific guidance based on your project requirements.